When you first log into the m3ter Console, the Dashboard opens:
You can jump right in from the Dashboard and work through a 4-step Getting Started workflow - you'll quickly see how easy it is to set things up in m3ter for usage-based pricing on your products and services.
Working in the m3ter Console? For more details on working in the m3ter Console see the m3ter Console page.
A Product in m3ter represents a product or service that you offer to your end customers. You can use a Product to group together Meters, Aggregations, Plans, and Pricing:
1. Select Create a product. The Products>Create page opens.
2. Enter the new Product details:
Code. Unique identifier for the Product. You will need the Code as a unique id when submitting API calls, such as a call to retrieve a Product.
Name. Enter a descriptive name for your Product.
Custom Fields? These are optional and you can ignore them for now.
3. Select Create. Your new Product is added to your Organization and you are returned to the Dashboard.
Create Meters to collect usage data for customers who consume your Product:
1. Select Create a meter. The Meters>Create page opens.
2. Use the drop-down to select the Product you want to create the Meter for.
Tip: Global Meter? You can create a Global Meter, which is not tied to a specific Product if you want to charge across several Products on the basis of the usage data the Meter collects. If you remove the selection, (Global) will show for Product.
3. Enter the new Meter details:
Code. Used as unique id when submitting API calls, such as a call to update a Meter.
Name. Descriptive name for the Meter.
4. Enter Data Fields you need to collect usage data. For example, suppose you want to charge for the cumulative volume of files stored on your service. You can enter details for a single field to collect usage data on the volume of files stored:
Meter Config? See Reviewing Meter Options.
4. Select Create. The Meter is added to your Product and you are returned to the Dashboard.
What are Derived Fields? These are Meter data-collection fields you can add that perform a calculation on Meter Data Fields, Custom Fields, or Timestamp Fields.
Create Aggregations to define specific units of measurement of usage data collected by your Meters. You can then use these Aggregations to price your Product Plans:
1. Select Create an aggregation. The Aggregations>Create page opens.
2. Use the drop-down to select the Product you want to create the Aggregation for.
3. Enter the new Aggregation details. You can create an Aggregation that sums the volume of gigabytes stored:
Aggregation Config? See Reviewing Aggregation Options.
4. Select Create Aggregation. The Aggregation is added to your Product and you are returned to the Dashboard.
Create Product Plans and define pricing for Plans using Aggregations:
1. Select Go to pricing editor. The Pricing page opens. Because you haven't yet created any Plans for your new Product, you'll see a warning.
2. Select Create Plan. The Plans page opens. Plans are always the child of a Plan Template. Because no templates have been created for your Product, this page open with the Create a new template option selected. When you create your new Plan, it will be saved as a new Plan Template.
3. Enter the Plan details:
Plan Config? See Reviewing Options for Plans and Plan Templates.
4. Select Create Plan. The Plan is created for your Product and you are returned to the Pricing page.
5. Select Add plans. A popup appears listing Plans created for your Product.
6. Select the Plan you've just created and select Confirm. The popup closes and the selected Plan is added to the Pricing page ready for pricing.
7. Select Add aggregations. A popup appears listing the Aggregations created for your Product.
8. Select the Aggregation you created for your Product and then select Confirm. The popup close and the Aggregation is added to the Pricing page. A warning shows to tell you that no pricing has yet been configured for the Plan using the Aggregation.
9. Select Create Pricing. The Pricing page adjusts with a summary of the Plan and the Aggregation shown at the top of the page.
10. Select the Pricing Type you want to configure for your Product Plan - select Tiered pricing and select Next. The page adjusts to allow you to set up a Tiered pricing structure with two pricing bands.
Pricing Config? See Reviewing Pricing Options for Plans and Plan Templates.
11. Select Create. You are returned to the Pricing page and the pricing structure you’ve configured using the Aggregations is shown under the Plan:
You now have a usage-based pricing Plan set up for your new Product and you can attach this Plan to a customer Account that consumes your Product. Metered Bills will be produced by the m3ter service based on this pricing and the usage data collected for the Account.
Note: When you've completed the Getting Started workflow and created at least one Product for your Organization and added a Meter, Aggregation, and priced Plan, the Getting Started panel will disappear from the Dashboard page.